Rio, Painted Sketch ~~ Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini


"Rio," image approximately 5-1/2" x 5" and roughly centered on a 7" x 10" sheet of Multimedia Artboard, sketch done in Golden Open Acrylics, commissioned portrait of a shelter rescue, private collection (THANK YOU!!). Also, Rio's a Christmas gift, so if you know his family, please don't spoil the surprise.

Rio's portrait looks differently than my other works, I know. It's what I consider a sketch, even though it's done in paint.

I offer sketches on this fabulous paper that is almost like a board - and I can size the piece to match your wall or budget or dog (the paper comes in 22" x 30" sheets). Let me know if you are interested.

Last night I put the third Dog a Day book to bed!! "Come Sit Stay" is well over 100 full-color pages packed with reproductions of my favorite paintings from 2009, an essay about the year, several lesson paintings, and more. The books will be available at the end of next week - I'll send an announcement once I have something set up to preview online.

I'll be contacting those collectors who own a painting that's in the book, too, so you'll know right up front whether or not your piece is in there. I don't want anyone guessing or wondering!

Thanks for looking at, and sharing, my artwork with your friends and family -

And here's to a Thanksgiving table heaped with blessings, both yours and mine -
Kim

PS I toyed with the idea of moving Artist Q&A Day, which typically falls on the last Friday of the month, to tomorrow in order to accommodate those who are off for the American Thanksgiving weekend. However, after considerable thought (and realizing that many take the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving off also), I'm going to instead shift it all to Friday, December 3rd.

Reworked

Sometimes a day just isn't enough time. For whatever reason - unplanned interruptions or speed bumps along the painting path or a client wanting minor tweaks - I will find a cause to go back into a painting and rework it.

With these the pieces "Come," above, and "Play," below, I was overly ambitious, attempting to finish the two of them in one day. I struggled with some drawing issues (yes, I have off days just like the rest of the world!) and didn't have the paintings where I wanted them to be by the end of my day's painting session.

This afternoon I got to go back into them both and am much happier with the end results.

Sometimes all it takes is perseverance!


No comments:

Post a Comment