Kitten Fluff ~~ Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini



"Kitten Fluff," from The Daily Paintworks Challenge, 4-1/4" x 5", portrait of a wee ball of fur, done in Golden Open Acrylics on gessobord, available for $219 (preferred collectors pay only 198!!). Email me if you are interested.

The Daily Paintworks group issues weekly challenges, many of which I've been able to tackle. They are a wonderfully talented group of daily painters with a fabulous and well designed web site. It is rewarding to see them add interactive elements and exercises - the sorts of things I haven't been able to take on/think about since college.

This week's challenge was to work from a darling kitten photo. As I write this, 60 artists have participated, with their results shared on the challenge page. It's fascinating stuff, how each of us has seen the same image and interpreted it entirely differently.

So what do you suppose is this kitten's story?

Thanks for sharing my artwork with your friends and family,
Kim

Another Challenge

Another recent Daily Paintworks Challenge was to create a self portrait.

This is a spread from my journal, done in marker, watercolor, gel and souffle pens, along with some collaged elements. It was my demo for a Creative Journalling lesson I led my younger students through: building a self portrait using colors and symbols that might tell a story in addition to the portrait itself.

I love stepping away from the easel and reaching for art materials I wouldn't normally use on a pet portrait.

And I love embracing a means of mark making that's still expressive, yet isolated, too, from my regular manner of creating.

Perhaps that's why I've embraced journalling.

No comments:

Post a Comment