Great Expectations, A Lesson Painting, Part II of II ~~ Kimberly Kelly Santini

In an effort to complete this piece in one sitting ("alla prima"), I burned some midnight oil, but ran out of steam. I powernapped and came back into the studio for another go this morning, and have it pretty darned close to completion.

 
Here's Part I for those of you who missed yesterday.

 
And without further ado, here's Part II:

 
 
 

I started with a wider flat (about 1/2") and got some elementary shapes down that properly molded the pups bodies. I then went down a step to a smaller flat, building more "general" detail, before grabbing a round and popping in some key highlights and a few lines.

 
The detail above shows the two dogs on the left after they've been gone over once with the smaller flat brush. The pup on the right has only been hit with the 1/2" brush, and is patiently awaiting a fresh layer of color and more detailed marks.

 
Because I am impatient, I work from left to right, in order to avoid smearing wet paint. When the entire surface is wet, that means I get to take a quick break for chocolate or email, whichever calls my name the loudest.

 
 
ALL FINISHED (or rather, I'll simmer with it for a couple of days and decide if any tweaks need to be made):  "Great Expectations," 7" x 16", portrait of 8 Great Dane pups, painted in Golden Open and Heavy Body Acrylics on a Raymar panel. Proceeds from the sale of this painting (and subsequent reproductions) will benefit Ohio Great Dane Rescue. $559 plus applicable shipping and handling charges. Inquiries may come to me.

 
I'll share more details and a larger view of the painting next week - there's a lot happening in here that warrants a closer peek!!
 

Thanks so much for sharing my art with your friends and family,
Kim
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment