Brie as Odalisque ~~ Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini

"Brie as Odalisque," 8" x 10", portrait of a huge and shaggy Venus (aka gorgeous dog), done in Golden Open acrylics on an Ampersand Gessobord, not for sale.

Brie belongs to artist Lisa Daria and takes her job as studio assistant seriously. So seriously, in fact, that she insisted on a historically inspired composition for her Dog a Day portrait.

Who am I to argue when clearly this girl knows her stuff?

You can see the progression of this painting in the images below.

I started with a bright underpainting, using a rough approximation of the composition as a guideline. I then followed up by loosely blocking in the placement of the main forms and starting to build up my values. I used large 1" wide brushes to begin with, gradually ending the painting with smaller filberts.

I can't wait to hear what Brie thinks of it! and Lisa, too.

Thanks, as always, for supporting my artwork!
Kim

PS You haven't forgotten about the 10% off newly booked commissions, have you ?? the project has to be booked during this January, but can happen any time during 2011. Shoot me an email if you are interested!


No comments:

Post a Comment