Gypsy Falls ~~ Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini


(Almost finished) "Gypsy Falls," 10" x 12", portrait of a Gypsy Vanner mare, done in Golden Open Acrylics on Raymar panel, $529 to the first one asking nicely. (This would be a KILLER Valentine's Day gift!!)

Email me if you are interested.

I've been doing some mid-winter spring cleaning in the studio, and came across this painting, which I had begun - but never finished - over 2 years ago. You can see how she looked this morning in the image below.

That happens to me quite a bit. I get to a point where I can see the potential but don't trust completely in my ability to deliver.

When this happens, I tuck it away until I can look with fresh eyes (and newly honed skills) and have another go.

That's what's happened with this girl.

And I thought she was done an hour ago, but I see now that I want the bottom of her tail pinker, like in the "before" version. I want the light on it to be warm and glowing, and the yellow, while beautiful, doesn't convey that sense. This is an easy fix.

Then, a coat of varnish and she's ready to find a home.

Meanwhile, thanks, as always, for supporting my artwork!
Kim

PS We're in the homestretch here with respect to this month's 10% newly booked commissions. The project has to be booked during this January, but can happen any time during 2011. Shoot me an email if you are interested! I booked 9 new portraits last week - let's see if we can't match that this one!!

Before

This is a mare I met at an equine breed parade in the fall of 2008 - I shot oodles of photos of both her and her little filly. She is a Gypsy Vanner, a breed that I adore painting.

Their dramatic markings, draft confirmation, and heavy feathering makes for fantastical subject matter.

Add in some soft backlighting and it becomes almost too good to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment