Blue Plaid, From the Saratoga Series ~~ Kimberly Kelly Santini


 

"Blue Plaid," from the Saratoga Series, 5" x 8", done in Golden Open Acrylics on an Ampersand Gessobord. Portrait of a dark bay Thoroughbred on the backside of Saratoga Springs Race Track. This painting can be yours for $299 - inquiries may come to me.

 
It's become a tradition, my summertime trek to upstate New York, where I meet up with girlfriends from all over the US and Canada for a long weekend of horses, art, and friendship.

 
This year I returned with nearly 1000 photos, the majority of them taken in the early mornings.

 
Early mornings at the track are full of bustle - visual, audial, and olefactory - and they carry a distinctly different flavor than the pomp and pagentry shown to the public on racing days.

 
For instance, when we arrived shortly after 7am, this big guy had already trained and bathed, and was being handwalked around the foggy shedrow. His body was steaming underneath the jaunty blue plaid cooler, and he followed my camera with a knowing eye.

 
"Paint me," he said, not as a request, but simply a statement of fact or mutual understanding.

 
I was more than happy to oblige.

 
Additional paintings in the Saratoga Series are here - you can purchase originals, order reproductions (if the original has sold), and design notecards.

 
Thanks, as always, for looking at and sharing my paintings with your friends and family,
Kim
 
 
COMING UP ~~ PAINTING WORKSHOP "Mixing Color Not Mud": Saturday, October 8th, at the Orion Art Center in Lake Orion MICHIGAN. Email me to get on the early bird list.
 


 

 

Remember "For Her Eyes Only"? This painting is one of mine, also from The Saratoga Series, a piece I created last month.

 
Initially I saw a photograph of on Facebook, and marvelled at her unusual markings. I did a little research and learned she was a filly in training at Saratoga. I emailed a couple friends who were headed to the track and asked them to keep an eye out for her.

 
Then, the very next morning, when reviewing my own track photos, who did I discover but this same little lady! being hotwalked directly in front of Mr. Blue Plaid, no less!

 
I had been so distracted by Mr. Blue Plaid and another jet black irish mare getting hosed down across the way, that I didn't pay this lady her proper due.

 
She's saying to me, "Hey, stupid! Over here - I have the goods, too."

 
And apparently she does. She broke her maiden in her first start, flashing quite a bit of speed.

 

 
(Psst! This painting is still available - I'd love to ship it to you - let me know if you are interested! Better yet, I will be happy to work a deal for the two pieces together!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment